Teens have many opportunities to be leaders in the Holmes Run Pool community. Holmes Run Pool hires strong teen swimmers who work well with children to be swim instructors, swim team coaches, and summer camp counselors.
Apply for Teen Swim Leadership Positions
Many teens in the Holmes Run Pool community have grown up spending their summers swimming on the Hurricanes swim team from a very young age all the way through high school. During their time on the team they become skilled swimmers, often mentoring the young swimmers who come after them. If you are such a teen, we encourage you to apply for one or more of our swim leadership positions.
Swim Team Junior Coach
The Holmes Run Acres (HRA) Hurricanes seeks Junior Coaches at the start of each swim season.
- Previous experience working with children, either as a swim coach or in other activities
- Modeling outstanding citizenship, team spirit, and work ethic
- Ability to attend most practices, as assigned by the Head Coach. Consistency is important.
- Willingness to learn new coaching methods and ways to positively discipline, and to work well with others.
- Attending practices every weekday to assist the Head Coach and Assistant Coach.
- Working with children ages 4-12, helping them develop swimming skills and technique, and preparing them to do their best in each A Meet and B Meet..
- Showing kindness, patience, and genuine understanding to the youngest Hurricane swimmers.
- Working with the Head Coach and Assistant Coach to organize Pep Rally activities. Junior Coaches should also help the youngest Hurricane swimmers at meets to be capped, lined up for Clerk of Course, and congratulated after events.
Compensation for Junior Coaches will be modest bonuses at the conclusion of the swim season. Success as a Junior Coach may lead to opportunities to teach private swim lessons at Holmes Run Pool and future coaching assignments.
Swim Lessons Instructor
Love swimming? Eager to teach others how to swim? Interested in a summer job? Consider applying to teach swim lessons at Holmes Run Pool! Swim lessons are offered to members seven days a week, with many time slots, allowing flexibility for both instructors and members.
Level 3 Swim Instructors, although relatively new to swim instruction, are skilled swimmers who have gained much of their experience competing on the Hurricanes swim team. They are able to teach young children who love the water and are excited to learn how to swim.
Level 2 Swim Instructors are older and more seasoned than Level 3 instructors, they have moderate to extensive experience teaching and are certified in AED, CPR, First Aid, and Lifeguarding. They are able to teach any type of student of any age.
Level 1 Swim Instructors have extensive experience at teaching and are certified in AED, CPR, First Aid, and Lifeguarding. They are able to teach beginner level swim students who need extra support or advanced swimmers looking to improve their performance and gain a competitive edge.
Rates are dependent on instructor training and experience.
Training: Swim instructors will need to attend a training session, date and time TBD.
Self-Promotion: Swim instructors will need to attend at least one Swim Instructor Meet & Greet during opening weekend. Attending both events gives swim instructors the advantage of meeting more potential clients and acquiring more swim lesson sign-ups. These events are scheduled for Saturday, May 27 and Sunday, May 28.
Season: Swim lessons are offered to members from Saturday, June 17 to Sunday, August 20.
Schedule: Private and semi-private swim lessons are held every day. Although swim instructor schedules may vary, a consistent, weekly commitment to given day(s) and time blocks is highly recommended. Members often like to schedule a consistent time with their preferred instructor. The group lesson schedule is TBD, pending member interest feedback and swim instructor availability.
- Aged 14 or older.
- Competent swimmer.
- Enjoy working with youth.
- Able to provide a safe, friendly, and inclusive learning environment.
- Certifications are recommended, not required. Relevant certifications include: Basic Swim Instructor (BSI), Water Safety Instructor (WSI), Lifeguard, First Aid, Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR), Automated External Defibrillator (AED).
- A non-family person who can confirm swim instruction abilities. A non-family reference may be a Swim Team Coach, Swim Instructor Employer, Fellow Swim Instructor, Fellow Lifeguard, Swim Team Assistant Coach, Swim Team Junior Coach, Swim Teammate.
- Prepare and conduct lessons that encourage progressive skill development tailored to each student.
- Ensure the safety of all students.
- Assist lifeguards by enforcing all HRARA policies and procedures.
- Keep track of my scheduled lessons.
- Check my email for booked lessons. Lesson notifications will be sent by email.
- Arrive at the facility no later than 15 minutes and at the poolside no later than 5 minutes prior to lesson start time. (Late arrival, even by one minute, will result in the lesson being paid at 50% of your lesson rate.)
- Be prepared by having equipment ready.
- Be responsible and mature in dealing with students and parents.
- Communicate effectively and efficiently with the Operations Director, students, and parents.
- Contact other instructors for substitutions when necessary and communicate schedule changes as needed.
Summer Camp Counselor
HRARA hires camp counselors for part-time employment helping campers from Camp Rodef Shalom (CRS) learn basic swimming skills.
Pod Leaders manage a group of 3-4 counselors and their camper groups. Must have prior CRS experience and excellent writing skills. (This position may lead to Camp Manager in future years). Must be at least 16 years old. Salary $15/hr.
Counselors provide swim instruction to groups of 3-4 children. Must be 14 years old and have a work permit submitted by a parent. Salary $12/hr.
Counselors in Training (CIT) support counselors. Must be at least 13 years old. Limited prior experience. Unsalaried.
Training: One half-day of training on Saturday, June 17.
Season: Camp runs from June 22 to July 20 (bonus days through July 25).
Schedule: Camp days are on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays. There is approximately 4-5 hours per day of work for 12 camp days (plus 2 optional *bonus* days).
- Past experience as a junior swim team coach or team swimmer. Certification in CPR/First Aid is a plus.
- Coaching skills that include basic swimming techniques and comfort working with young children.
- Strong work ethic; ability to focus on campers (no cell phones, no socializing with other counselors).
- Providing in-water, hands-on swim skills instruction for swimmers from K-3rd grade. You will work directly with 3-4 children in the water for 3 consecutive lessons each day.
- Provide a positive, fun learning environment for all campers.
- Following the instructions of the program manager for each daily lesson.
- Provide written feedback about each camper daily.
- No exceptions on time arrival. Tardiness will be grounds for immediate dismissal.
- Set up and clean up the pool area before and after lessons.
Please log in to apply for swim leadership positions.
Apply to be an Assistant Coach
We are not accepting applications at this time.
Apply to be a Lifeguard
Premier Pool Management, Inc., hires and manages lifeguards for Holmes Run Pool. Please download and complete the application linked below and then upload it here along with a scanned copy of your RedCross Lifeguard Certificate (if you have one).